Ursula anda por Costa Rica




Tropical Forest Biological Station


Ursula estudiará allí 2 clases como parte de sus cursos de Antropología para acumular las horas que le faltan para terminar Ciencias Politicas en Mayo 15 del 2009. Termina, parece, su carrera sin repetir ni perder ninguna materia. That's my girl!

***
Hey papi and mommy,

We just had a group meeting and dinner! It was really funny because while at dinner, they were having karaoke night so it was quite a pleasure hearing the locals sing. (not). Anyway, we introduced ourselves and they told us we will eat breakfast at 7 am and then head out at 8 am. Girls and boys have their own cabins to sleep in and they warned us that if we wash our clothes, they will take at least 3 days to dry! So I am not going to bother washing anything! They tell us that they are trying to get dial up internet working at the site and the nearest phone is in a town. So, I do not know how the communication will happen starting tomorrow, but I suggest calling the site. They say that using that phone is for emergency, but one of the ladies specifically told me that in my case, my parents can call when they like, which I suggest you do after 6 pm. (I think everyone in La Suerte has caught on about us and know that I will have to be in constant communication with you guys. ) Hahahaha!

About 10 more kids showed up today all at once. They are very nice and easy to get along with, but you can tell that they have never traveled before. Mike, Chiarra, and Annie Margaret have been to many places, but not the others. I have gotten close to those three and I am looking forward to getting to know the others. Everyone seems really nice.

I have not seen any animals around. Just stray dogs and cats. However, I know that starting tomorrow, things will be a lot different. The town I am staying in is not really nice and a bit rundown. But the people are nice and the food is great. People are a little poorer here, but not to a point where it is unbearable. Everyone seems content here. Although the town is a little rough, when I look up, I can see the mountains and clouds at their tops. It is almost crazy. I know that tomorrow I am going to be even more surprised. Someone told me though, that the bus ride is going to be a little sad because we are going to see a lot of deforestation replaced by pineapples and bannanas. (But that is what the instructors and nature people are saying.) I will have to see for myself. Costa Rica is definitely worth visiting but not to San Jose or Alajuela. You will just be coming into rough and dirty towns. On the way here I met a family who was going to spend five days in the jungle. Like a little hotel/campsite. It sounded so fun. But definitely do not even come close to the cities. Come somewhere rural. I would LOVE for you to come. For some reason, on this trip I am feeling a little homesick. I think because last time I was with Jon, and this time I am really by myself. So, come and visit! Please!

Regardless, Chiarra and I connected instantly. She is exactly like Yeya. She is Italian who grew up in Zimbabwe, then London, and now studies in Australia. She is really smart and really sweet. Mike is really nice too, and kind of funny so I am glad I got to know him. And yes, as of now, no one has headphones for skype. I am taking as many pictures as I can, but there are not as many photogenic opportunities in this hoedunc town. I have to admit... I am NOT going easy with the food. But starting tomorrow at the site, I am going to eat healthy again. I can not imagine the food being all that great anyway. And yes papi, you are right. I am going to be doing more work in the next six weeks than I ever have in a semester!

No comments: